Based in San Francisco, California
Early Spring, 2020
Dreamscaper is a surreal, Binding of Isaac-style Hack and Slash - players battle a nightmarish depression that lives in a young woman’s subconscious. Every slumber is a different dungeon and you must unlock the power of your dreams to see a new day. Play as Cassidy, a young woman trapped in a deep depression. Dive into her subconscious to take on the nightmares she wrestles with.
Feeling burned out in traditional game development, Rob, Ian, and Paul left it behind in the summer of 2018 to follow their dreams and build an indie title they could call their own. Dreamscaper is a very personal project, drawing inspiration from childhood favorites and focusing on an emotional through line confronting depression and mental health. Only a year into production, Dreamscaper has entered open alpha and is developing at a rapid pace with a growing community.
- An expansive combat system that rewards skilled play - shoot off finger guns, rend the earth below you or whip a yo-yo into enemies with a slew of dream inspired weaponry
- Adventure through six beautiful, haunting dreamscapes to discover powerful artifacts, surreal scenery and a multitude of unique events, challenges and puzzles
- Day / night gameplay - explore the waking and dreaming world to learn Cassidy's story, your actions in one affect the other
- Deep item progression that creates synergies and new possibilities every run, encouraging experimentation and high replay-ability
- Warp the Dreamscape around you with “Lucid Powers” – surreal dream attacks and abilities that manipulate the elements, warp space, and even control time itself
- Live Cassidy's waking life and forge friendships with the people around her. Empower Cassidy with their hopes and memories to dispel the darkness of her nightmares
- A beautiful, dynamic soundtrack composed by Dale North that adapts to player experience
Kickstarter Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Best Action Adventure" Dreamhack Dallas, Indie Playground, June 1st, 2019
- "Game Pitch Championships Finalist" Dreamhack Dallas, June 1st, 2019
- "Roguelite action-RPGs these days are common enough, but few are as easy on the eyes as Dreamscaper"
- Dominic Tarason, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "It’s a very promising game, with satisfying skill based combat, a nice variety of enemies and a game world that’s a joy to explore."
- Calum Fraser, Alpha Beta Gamer
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
80 Lvl Deep Dive
Indie Graze Interview
About Afterburner Studios
Founded in July of 2018, Afterburner Studios is made up of Robert Taylor, Ian Cofino and Paul Svoboda. Our goal is to create unique experiences that move players.
More information on Afterburner Studios, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Design, Animation, VFX, UI