Based in San Francisco, California
August 5th, 2021
Dreamscaper is a surreal, action RPG roguelite - players battle the nightmares that live in a young woman’s subconscious. Tackle the permadeath of the dreamscapes by night, but keep the friendships you make by day in order to face the next dream stronger than before.
Feeling burned out in traditional game development, Rob, Ian, and Paul left it behind in the summer of 2018 to follow their dreams and build an indie title they could call their own. Dreamscaper is a very personal project, drawing inspiration from childhood favorites and focusing on an emotional through line confronting depression and mental health. Since the Early Access launch on August 14th, 2020, Dreamscaper has a 92% postive rating on Steam with almost 1,000 reviews and a growing community. Afterburner Studios announced Dreamscaper 1.0's August 5th release date during the Freedom Games presentation at E3 2021.
- An expansive combat system that rewards skilled play - shoot off finger guns, rend the earth below you or whip a yo-yo into enemies with a slew of dream inspired weaponry
- Adventure through six beautiful, haunting dreamscapes to discover powerful artifacts, surreal scenery and a multitude of unique events, challenges and puzzles
- Day / night gameplay - explore the waking and dreaming world to learn Cassidy's story, your actions in one affect the other
- Deep item progression that creates synergies and new possibilities every run, encouraging experimentation and high replay-ability
- Warp the Dreamscape around you with “Lucid Powers” – surreal dream attacks and abilities that manipulate the elements, warp space, and even control time itself
- Live Cassidy's waking life and forge friendships with the people around her. Empower Cassidy with their hopes and memories to dispel the darkness of her nightmares
- A beautiful, dynamic soundtrack composed by Dale North that adapts to player experience
1.0 Launch Date Trailer YouTube
Early Access Launch Trailer YouTube
Switch Launch Date Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Official Selection" Day of the Devs, July 20th, 2020
- "Best in Show" INDIGO 2020, June 26th, 2020
- "Best Action Adventure" Dreamhack Dallas, Indie Playground, June 1st, 2019
- "Game Pitch Championships Finalist" Dreamhack Dallas, June 1st, 2019
- "Dreamscaper is a lovely, action-heavy roguelike with shades of Persona"
- Ian Boudreau, PCGamesN
- "Dreamscaper Is Like the Pretty Lovechild of Transistor and Catherine"
- Damien Lawardorn, Escapist Magazine
- "Roguelite action-RPGs these days are common enough, but few are as easy on the eyes as Dreamscaper"
- Dominic Tarason, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "It’s a very promising game, with satisfying skill based combat, a nice variety of enemies and a game world that’s a joy to explore."
- Calum Fraser, Alpha Beta Gamer
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
Epic Megagrant Announcement
Dreamscaper puts a nightmarish twist on action-RPGS
Dreamscaper Combines Elements of The Binding of Isaac, Dead Cells, and Ashen to Tell a Story About Depression
80 Lvl Deep Dive
About Afterburner Studios
Founded in July of 2018, Afterburner Studios is made up of Ian Cofino, Robert Taylor and Paul Svoboda. We are the Afterburners, and our mission is to create experiences that move players through gameplay, story and wonder.
More information on Afterburner Studios, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Design, Animation, VFX, UI